xxxlogofinal
email

Saturday 16 June 2012

How not to meet an accountant...

Obviously I have to meet new clients when they first contact myself and wish to use my services… apart from the fact that it’s always good to put a name to a face, I need to see ID from clients to comply with the various rules imposed upon the accountancy profession.

I also somewhat take the view (maybe it’s called confidence, some people call it arrogance) that I will know more about accounts and tax than the average client does. After all – I have been doing it for a fair few years and have 3 professional accountancy qualifications after my name.

I always ask some general questions about the client so I can tweak my presentation accordingly and pitch at the right level. The ideal client will listen to what I have to say (it’s not death by powerpoint honest) and then they will ask questions as needed to make sure things make sense.

I by no means assume that everything I have said will be taken in by a client in the first meeting…I am more than happy for clients to email / ring with questions at any time.

My all inclusive service means NO additional charges – talk to me as much as you like… keep doing it daily and I will think I have a new admirer!

Clients like that are a joy to work with as they do actually listen to what I have to say. I may not have experience of being a sex worker (thank god the people who know me will say) – however I do have 25 years of business experience. Your job/career is a business after all has been said and done.

The clients that have proved to be a right royal PITA are those that straight away say “I don’t want to pay any tax by using you” and “how much can you save me?”

I do give up on the ones that claim to know my profession better than I do but that’s another story.

When it comes to saving tax and not paying tax – yes there are ways we can legally minimise your tax, there are also ways that get you an instant go to jail card. Whichever way you decide to go, then it’s your choice at the end of the day – if I feel it’s wrong or potentially going to give you a problem then I have a moral and professional duty to advise you I and will always gain your written confirmation that you have acted against my advice. This is standard for accountants.

Yes – there are many ways to save tax – I will happily share these with clients as needed. But first make sure you understand the system and all the implications of taking a particular course of action. I will always seek to legally minimise your tax bill where possible.

Please don’t try telling me how the tax system works or how you can get around it – it is very likely I would have come across your ideas already!

Listen to what I have to say and then let’s work together to make your finances happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment